The Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association of the United States (FEMA) is comprised of flavor manufacturers, flavor users, flavor ingredient suppliers, and others with an interest in the U.S. flavor industry. Founded in 1909, it is the national association of the U.S. flavor industry. FEMA works with legislators and regulators to assure that the needs of members and consumers are continuously addressed. FEMA is committed to assuring a substantial supply of safe flavoring substances.
The Association’s emphasis is on activities which individual or small groups of companies are unable to effectively accomplish on their own. FEMA performs its work chiefly through the efforts of industry executives and scientists, augmented by a professional staff experienced in dealing with legislative bodies, regulatory agencies, academic institutions, scientific organizations, media, and industry groups.
The Association draws upon the extensive experience and expertise of industry members through an active committee structure, to address a wide variety of matters of interest to the industry. FEMA is also a founding member of the International Organization of the Flavor Industry (IOFI), which is an association of regional and national associations of the flavor industry, headquartered in Switzerland.
Universal acceptance of the value of flavorings.
FEMA is the authoritative voice advancing the safe and responsible use of flavorings.
FEMA furthers the business interests of its members through a sound scientific program designed to promote the safe use of flavors. Through effective representation of its members, FEMA fosters a global environment in which the flavor industry can create, innovate, and compete.
Integrity | Safety | Sound Science | Education | Diversity | Sustainability
- Advocacy: FEMA is recognized as the premier advocate regarding flavorings.
- Education: FEMA is relied upon as an authoritative educational resource fostering growth and development for member companies.
- Science: FEMA expands its scientific credibility.
- Industry Intellectual Property Protection: FEMA promotes the protection of member company intellectual property.
- Awareness: FEMA builds the narrative on flavorings in support of key stakeholders.